Wednesday 11 January 2012

Giuseppe Penone at Tate Modern

Giuseppe Penone- Tree of 12meters

During the summer I spent a fair about of time down in London; visiting exhibitions, sightseeing, shopping etc.ect.ect. I came across 'Tree of 12metres' in the Tate Modern gallery, it interested me at the time so I took a quick photo and I guess after that I kind of discarded the image as it had little relevance to what I was interested in at the time. It is only through the Collecting, Walking and the Creative Process that I rediscovered Penone's work and thought about how I could encompass some of the ideas behind this particular piece into my own work. I think it was more the scale of the pieces that I found attractive rather than anything else, although I do love love love the idea behind Penone's work (looking at the relationship between industry and nature, suggesting that a sensitive approach to materials is still possible in such an industrailised world.) So I began transforming my filmsy paper cut outs of the shape of the twig into larger shapes cut from plywood. 
Twig shapes cut from map and bookpage.
Twigs cut from large scale plywood board.

No comments:

Post a Comment