Tuesday 3 January 2012

Terry Winters

After studying the twig more and more I decided to start drawing the basic shape out in an almost blind drawing kind of style. This really allowed me to concentrate entirely on the shape and the twists and turns rather than just drawing what I thought the shape was like. I used a variety of materials (brown paper, book pages, fine liners, pencil, charcoal and chalk pastels) to make the shapes more interesting, I also think it adds a slight feeling of texture to the twig shape.
 

There are some similarities between the piece in my sketchbook and the work of Terry Winters in that the colour pallet is made up of the same shades and tones, the drawing is of natural forms and the marks that have been made have a naive quality about them. Although Winters' work isn't something I would usually like I am starting to appreciate some of the qualities of his pieces. 
'Defying Gravity'


No comments:

Post a Comment