Wednesday 19 October 2011

Containing an Idea- Applied Arts

I was given the word 'gentleness' to work with and to create a form to carry or contain the feeling. I wanted to make an object which had flowing, smooth lines and no sharp edges. The colour was also important as I felt that the original colour and shine of the tin-coated steel was too harsh and bright. To give a feeling of 'gentleness' I used a blow torch to heat the metal and make blue and purple marks. The colours are quite calm and relaxing. The techniques I used to produce my forms included; bending, cutting, folding, pressing, spot-welding, dipping in acid and heating up the metal as well as using a hammer to put gentle dints in the metal. I thought it was important that the container wasn't something like a box that the word was trapped in as gentleness is something that isn't harmful so can flow around.


No comments:

Post a Comment