Tuesday 18 October 2011

Frieze

Evaluation of an art magazine: Frieze- issue 142, October 2011

I didn't really know what to expect from Freize. Even though it's the leading magazine of contemporary art and culture I hadn't heard of the it before and therefore knew virtually nothing about what it would include. I wasn't overly excited when looking at the cover of the magazine and I can't say I found the cover image particularly stimulating to look at but strangely I did like the weight of the magazine in my hand. When I first flicked through the pages all it seemed to be made up of was advertisements, whether it be adverts for exhibitions or adverts for galleries, that's all it seemed to include. (Having said that I did come across some that I absolutely loved and really did capture my imagination!) After looking through the magazine a few more times I did find several articles towards the back, some which interested me, some which didn't but I guess that's how magazines are supposed to be- raising questions and creating talking points and all that?

No comments:

Post a Comment